What do you do? 

I am an Engineer with a passion for improving patient outcomes using digital tools. In 2020 I founded and lead the Digital Health Laboratory, an interdisciplinary research group based at the Auckland Bioengineering Institute, including clinical, health psychology, and engineering students. Our research topics span wearable devices that measure autonomic, colonic and gastric function, novel sensors, through to health psychology associated with wearable devices, and machine learning techniques to a variety of physiological and anatomical datasets.

Why did you choose this career path?

Through my journey training as an engineer and interacting with gastroenterologists, I learned first hand how challenging and frustrating chronic GI conditions were for patients. These interactions not only motivated me to work hard towards developing practical and reliable technology to aid clinicians, but also to focus on clinical translation.

What makes you excited about what you do?

Bridging the gap between engineering and medicine with a strong multidisciplinary approach. Working alongside and collaborating with clinicians motivates me to work hard towards developing practical and reliable technology to aid clinicians and see real-world positive health outcomes for patients.